Safety first and foremost

Days are zooming by like hours on a pendulum. I am busy preparing, contemplating and fantasizing about my upcoming eventure. Do I have the strength, tenacity, and endurance to pull it off? Can I raise an adequate enough amount of money to make a difference? Will my friends and family, and anyone else that will read my messages and blog of daily encounters, be inspired to be part of the solution on a subject that is in my core being since I participated in the Blue Planet Run? Ten more days and all the pre-ride pandemonium will be set in motion for a 2,500 mile 50-day transcontinental voyage.

At the moment, life for me is hectic and in full anticipation. It seems that there are not enough hours in the day. On top of that, I self-diagnosed a strained anterior tibial tendon, most likely incurred running down a steep hill earlier this week. " Par for the course" as they say and I hope that it means what it means, "sure success". For now it hurts a bit, but definitely no showstopper.

This week I bought an iphone, got an Garmin etrex device as a birthday gift, and will carry with me several other electronic gadgets. How did we ever manage without them? If only I can remember what cords go with what, and keep them from tangles and knots, my ride should be as smooth as a … you know what I mean! Having said that, when on the road, safety will be my main concern. When drivers behind the wheel are on their cell phones and let their fingers do the talking, and ladies fancy their faces with lip gloss and eye-mascara while navigating their Hummers, we cyclists better be on the lookout at all times.

Just recently being out and about on the bike, a middle aged woman in her shiny convertible mini-cooper flashed by me, cell phone in hand and a chiwawa pooch on her lap, seemingly in control of the wheel!  If I only had my camera! Adorable? Yes! An accident waiting to happen? Sure thing! So, I will be wearing a reflector vest, helmet, a road id bracelet, have a rear view mirror and a very bright pulsating light. It will put an extra few pounds on me, but as the saying goes, "safety first and foremost". And when you see me pedal stroking up and down these scenic country roads, please  give me some room and share the road!
By the end of the month, I will begin my safe drinking water campaign and journey, with the hope that many will be with me and see the need for speed to save lives, and help with a $10 donation. When that happens I will be able to call this “Rudy” initiative a success, and will ride off into the sunset with a big smile on my face! 

No comments:

Post a Comment