Day 31 - In honor of my parents


It seems only natural that today's ride is in appreciation of my parents, as today I will ride to the highest point of my entire trip. For all of my life they have always supported me, no matter how crazy the ideas. So today is both a highlight and a moment of thanks to them for almost always being there for me every step along the way.

After a mile of downhills, the ride changed it's attitude, and went straight up for a solid four hours, and at the end, crowned the highest point of the Parkway at 6,047 feet! This may not seem very high in comparison to Mount Rainier, but on a bike with 120 pounds of gear in tow, it is quite the work out! As you can see in the picture, rainclouds are forming and shortly thereafter it all came down, with gusty winds creating havoc between the gaps. Being caught and captured by the rain I cycled for more than three hours, and was soaked to the bone when I arrived at my destination for the day, at Mount Pisca, again short of my goal. After a hot shower and setting up camp, I felt human again, and to top it all off, enjoyed a nice charbroiled trout dinner at a nearby restaurant, the only one for miles.

1 comment:

  1. tanja JarigsmaSeptember 01, 2009

    Ha Rudy, wat ben je toch een held! ik ben zo trots op je, zit alweer te huilen als ik dit lees, opa is ook zo trots op je, bijzonder hè...voor iemand die je niet naar het conservatorium liet gaan, omdat je echt geld moest verdienen! ik hou van je, love Tanja

    ReplyDelete