Almost ready to take the test


The time has come again to go for another roundabout. This time it will be Europe and having upped the ante over last year’s ride a bit, I have to question myself whether or not I have pushed it beyond my limits. But to quote Elder Regal Black Swan: ”The only way to pass any test is to take the test”, and thus I go yonder. The voyage will begin from the familiarity of my childhood neighborhood near Amsterdam and will return there seventy days later. I feel fortunate to be able to undertake this journey in support of the Blue Planet Foundation’s important initiative. When I finished the ride last year I was elated and grateful, because of all the positive encounters and energy that came my way. Will this year’s European bike journey be able to repeat that? Only time will tell. Please let your family and friends know about this water mission and forward them my blog link, because in order to reach my fundraising objective we will need all the support we can get.

Together, wifi permitted, we will explore, over fifty major cities and a multitude of different cultures. While riding the Dutch countryside, I will be your personal tour guide, as I know this country like the back of my hand. Some destinations will be personal, like the city of Mauthausen in Austria, where my grandfather died in a concentration camp during the Second World War. Other day-trips through Berlin, Dresden, Budapest and Florence will boast rich history, art and architectural landmarks. The route will follow major waterways including the Rhine, Danube and Rhone and traverses through scenic landscapes in Cinqa Terra, the French Riviera, Arles, and Flanders Field, where poppies blow, between the crosses, row on row, … (by John McCrae). And did I mention the anticipated endless fruit of the vine tasting parties in the rolling hills of Italy and France? My carbon neutral pedal power adventure will take place during the time of the Tour de France and World Cup soccer. I will undoubtedly spend time looking for the Dutch soccer matches wherever they may play on the silver screen, and dress up with my orange bandana in support of this Dutch powerhouse team. They may even go all the way this time around. Hup, Holland hup!

No comments:

Post a Comment